What are Puff Backs and What you need to know.
Our Furnaces work hard during these colder months to keep us warm around the clock. Now even tho Spring is right around the corner, Most of our furnaces still have a bit to go before their ready to take their Summertime break. Like most things, while they do enhance our lives, they could run into problems. Puff Backs are the misfiring in an oil and gas furnace and boilers that sends soot and smoke throughout the structure as well as creating soot webs. Some of the causes of a Puff Back include;
- Clogged Burner, Exhaust, or Chimney
- Damaged Fuel Nozzle
- Cracked Heat Exchange
- Manually Resetting the System too Often. NOTE: *DO NOT press the reset button on your furnace more than ONCE if it pops out. Readily pressing the rest increases your risk of a Puff Back occurring
What do you do if a Puff Back Happens to you? They are not only messy but can become stressful as well. SERVPRO is here to wipe away your stress as well as all the soot.
- Call your Insurance Company
- Call a HVAC repair man to schedule repairs on your furnace or boiler
- Call a cleaning service to clean the soot
- *AVOID trying to clean/wipe any walls, ceilings, painted surfaces, upholstery, or electronics. Cleaning without the proper chemicals could cause damage
- *LIMIT movement to prevent spreading the spread of soot
- *DON’T consume any opened food or drinks due to the possibility of contamination.
- Don’t worry, Professionals are here to help you through this. Don’t be afraid to ask questions or voice any concerns. A Company like SERVPRO is here to make it “Like it never even happened.”