Extension Cord Misuse
An extension cord can come in handy from time to time to help you solve a temporary power issue, however they should not be used for a long-term solution. Extension cord misuse can cause damage to your home or business.
According to the Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI) here are some tips to keep your extension cords safe:
- Do not overload extension cords or allow them to run through water or snow on the ground.
- Do not substitute extension cords for permanent wiring
- Do not run through walls, doorways, ceilings or floors.
- If the cord is covered, heat cannot escape, which may result in a fire hazard.
- Do not use an extension cord for more than one appliance.
- Make sure the extension cord or temporary power strip you use is rated for the products to be plugged in.
- Never use a cord that feels hot or is damaged in any way.
- Never use three-prong plugs with outlets that only have two slots for the plug. Do not cut off the ground pin to force a fit. This defeats the purpose of a three-prong plug and could lead to an electrical shock.
If you experience fire or smoke damage, please call us! No job is too big or too small.
Tracie "Dusty" Nichols